In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Monday, December 26, 2022

Chipping away

 We're slowly moving back into our regularly scheduled programming, although it still feels a bit like the North Pole around here. And that meant that I spent part of Christmas Day stitching.

I'm going to spend some time this week finishing up the motifs for the online Goldwork class I'm taking. I have some breathing room since the second term doesn't start for another few weeks, and I will probably take advantage of that time.

Right now, I'm chipping. In chipping, you cut a length of metal thread into teeny bits (aka chips) and then sew them in a random pattern on the surface. It is tedious. It's very pretty, but it's tedious. And slow. And tedious. But pretty.

I have been thinking that maybe it would work best if I do about an hour of chipping, then do something else for the rest of the day.

Like maybe have a belated Christmas Day dinner.

We always have our holiday feasts on days other than the designated holidays. A lot of that has to do with the work schedules of various family members, who always seem to have to work either the actual day or the days right before and after. Travel is involved as well, so it seems to work out best if we accommodate. But it leaves us feeling a little discombobulated.

This year, Dearly Beloved and I decided we would have our own feast on Christmas Day, a turkey and special side dishes. We bought the frozen bird and put it in the frig to thaw. A week ago, longer than the amount of time a bird that size should take.

Apparently the polar vortex that has hit the country also hit the refrigerator. We pulled the turkey out yesterday, and it was still frozen hard in places, and still pretty stiff in the rest of it. So, it went back in.

We had meatloaf.

I believe we should just go with the usual program and stay discombobulated in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had so much fun , hope you enjoyed your meat loaf . Love the Gold work and your cense of fun .
    Enjoy a wonderful New Year. Hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think about the new traditional Christmas meal of meatloaf and those special sides you had, Ann! That chipping looks interesting. Enjoy these few remaining days of 2022.

    ReplyDelete