In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Monday, January 17, 2022

Dodging the ice bullet

 We dodged the ice bullet over the weekend!

When I woke up yesterday, there was just a smudge of snow and it had started sleeting. It continued to sleet most of the morning, then it rained, then it snowed again. Dearly Beloved tottered outside periodically through the day to stick a yardstick in the accumulation to see what we had. He reported that we had a solid inch of ice between layers of snow, and, depending on which part of our little bit of yard he poked, we got between 3 and 4 inches of cold precipitation.

Those of you who live in snowy climes are now laughing hysterically. You have to remember--I live in the land of heat and humidity, basically the subtropics. The last time we had much of anything was three years ago, and it wasn't much either. So, we don't have a lot of snow-moving equipment, nor do we have a snow shovel of our own. 

The good thing is that we didn't have frozen precipitation on the tree limbs or power lines, so our lights and heat have stayed on. The bad thing is that the temps are above freezing, so stuff is melting. The temps will drop below freezing tonight, so the melted stuff will freeze. Tomorrow we will have black ice in spots as a result, so we're still hunkering down. 

Bet you thought I got a lot of stitching done this weekend.

You would be wrong.

I fell into a book (Ken Follett's The Evening and The Morning) on Saturday. Yesterday, I cooked some stick-to-your-ribs stuff to warm us from the inside, then finally sat down to stitch late in the day.


I started doing the filling on the big flowers when I finished the outlining since they're done in the same color. I think I'm going to continue with the flowers today, just to get them done.

I was planning to work on Hannah only on Sundays, but she is proving to be hard to put down. But, as I have repeatedly said, I am setting no goals and working to no schedules in 2022, no matter how difficult it is to avoid making lists and ticking things off on the calendar. I am retired, by jiminey, and I don't have to do that any longer!

Come to think of it, I don't have to worry about getting into work or working from home when the weather is bad. I have permanent snow days!


2 comments:

  1. Yes sometimes it's good tobe older , no rush for us anymore in the mornings .
    Love your growing stitching , stay safe.

    ReplyDelete