In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Challenge vs Comfort

 I think I figured out why my Or Nue motif is taking so long.

I do about three rows and decide I've had enough of this and I go do something else, like clean a bathroom. When I step away from stitching to do housework, it is obvious I'm not having a good time.

BUT, I want to get this done (remember, I am stubborn and bloody-minded) so I decided to work until I had at least doubled the amount I had already stitched. And I did.

In the middle of the night when I have my hour or two of staring at the ceiling (every night and I'm getting a little cranky about it since I'm not awake enough to get up and do something, but I'm not sleeping peacefully) I was thinking about projects in my stash. And I figured out I have two distinct types of projects.

One big pile is full of challenging things to stitch--new or unfamiliar techniques that require concentration and focus to accomplish. A lot of them I always considered my retirement projects. Let's face it, if you're working full time, it's hard to have enough energy at the end of a work day to work on some of the more complicated projects. So . . . retirement projects.

Then there are all the projects I've accumulated over the years from all the designers that I love. Of course I want to work on all of them. They are comfortable and comforting to work on.

Then I realized I've sort of figured out how to handle this stuff. I work on the more challenging things early in the day when my brain and body are fairly fresh. Right now, it's the goldwork piece. Then, after dinner in the evening, I work on something from the comforting pile--at the moment, Catherine Theron's No Place Like Home.

So, challenge in the mornings, comfort in the evenings. And by golly, I am going to get this Or Nue motif done this week!

3 comments:

  1. Your sorted Ann , sometimes , when you wake up in the night you can think better and get things sorted, hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes total sense to me. The Or Nue motif is looking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thinking to walk away. I should do that more often than I do. Great progress. Robin in NJ

    ReplyDelete