In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Leafing out

I came back home with many, many things to stitch, but before I play with those projects, I want to finish this one:

I've started filling in the leaves on Morning Has Broken. Being the boring and methodical stitcher I am, it's very likely I'll continue filling in the leaves.

I had planned to work on that Christmas ornament, the one in the series I was working on while we were in Williamsburg, the one that I didn't have enough green Kreinik to finish. I still don't. I have that color, but in the wrong size. I think this is a sign. I think I need to set this aside for awhile.

I do plan to set up an assembly line on Saturday for the six I've stitched so they can go on the Christmas tree this year.

And that brings up the Christmas tree . . .

We drove home from Williamsburg on Monday. We didn't have to deal with snow or ice. We did have to deal with torrential rain. Lots of torrential rain. Gallons of torrential rain. On more than one occasion, Dearly Beloved was driving based on the taillights of the truck ahead of us since the visibility was so bad. We figured if the truck suddenly vanished, we should stop because it would mean it had driven off the road and into a swamp or something.

Anyway, our plan to get home in late afternoon and go to the tree lot to pick out this year's tree was eliminated. It took us a little over eight hours to do what usually takes a little over six, so by the time we got home, I needed to do some laundry while Dearly Beloved unloaded the car and went to pick up take-out for dinner. Actually I was surprised he was willing to get back in the car, even for food.

So we went last night after I got home from work. We found one that fits our corner and that has a nice shape.

Hence commenced the Tree Trauma.

We have a wonderful tree stand with a large water reservoir. Allegedly it is easy to use--you just put the tree in the center and screw four big screws up against the tree trunk. However, someone needs to hold the tree while someone else screws in the screws.

I was elected to hold the tree. Apparently I am not a competent tree holder since the tree seems to be crooked. I could mention that someone screwed the screws in farther on one side than the other, but I have learned when to poke a Grumpy Bear and when to let things go. This was one of those times when one doesn't poke the Grumpy Bear. At least we have it tilted toward the corner and not out into the room so when it falls over, it won't hit the floor.

After that, it seemed to be wise to not even mention dragging out the boxes of ornaments and the lights, especially not the lights.

So the house has a wonderful aroma and it looks like a Fraser Fir just grew up out of the floor.

With the water damage in this side of the room, it wouldn't surprise me if a tree did grow out of the floor.


  1. Seeing your Morning always makes me want to take mine out but I just can't right now. Sorry your trip home was so awful but at least you made it back in one piece! And I know what you mean about that grumpy bear!! Discretion really is the better part of valor!!! LOL. Laura

  2. Oh dear! I thought this kind of things only happened to me! :) Well I'm sure your Grumpy Bear won't mind getting all the decorations for you this weekend. I can't wait to see your tree. After all this hard work, it is bound to look beautiful!

  3. Lovely progress.
    I will miss you Saturday!

  4. Can't wait to see the results of your finishing weekend--and good luck with decorating "that" tree!