In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

We have wings!

 My little worker bee has her wings!

It's a really good thing that I have never aspired to becoming a professional embroiderer or to working in a fashion atelier or even being an RSN graduate.

I am too slow.

SOOOOOOOO slow.

Those wings took me almost 6 hours to accomplish.

You'd think, as much stitching as I have done over the past 60-plus years, I would have worked on silk organza before. Nope, or I might have figured out a way to transfer the outline of the wings in a manner that would enable me to see it. That was the first problem. Then I had to overcast the wire that holds the shape. Even with good light and magnification, that was a slow and painstaking process, followed by working buttonhole over the overcasting. Again, slow and painstaking--and that was before I had to cut the wings out. I'm not sure I breathed while I was cutting and trimming.

I'm not even going to discuss mounting the wings, other than mentioning I had to use a sharp awl and insert wires. If I observed that some DNA may have been left on the back of the work, it would not be a surprise to long-time readers.

It is all worth it, though. She is a cute little bee, and, even better, she doesn't sting!

1 comment: