In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Letters and more letters

So I worked on Barbara Jackson's Littlest Pilgrim Hornbook yesterday.

And the first three major bands are almost all letters. Which I do not enjoy stitching. And then I made it harder for myself.

No, I didn't work them reversibly, but I did try to avoid carrying the thread across the linen in the back. The darkest blue is very dark, and I knew it would show through when the piece is mounted on the hornbook. This meant a lot of pin stitches to start each letter, and a lot of foul language when the pin stitches pulled loose--so I grabbed a sharp needle--which resulted in more foul language when I stabbed myself. Anyway the sharp needle did the trick, no more stitches pulled loose, and now I can move on to a fun band with very few letters.

Barbara Rakosnik of Periwinkle Promises designed a sampler that said "I Already Know My Alphabet" in place of the alphabet. This is one of the few designs of hers that I somehow missed adding to the stash, but I have often thought of it. Major unicorn sampler . . .like everything else, if I'm meant to have it, it will come my way.

Having unpacked 21 boxes of books--no exaggeration, even though they were not huge boxes, they were still heavy--I believe I am going to spend the rest of the day stitching. And I believe I will work on Littlest Pilgrim again.

I'm halfway! If Dearly Beloved can be talked into cooking dinner tonight, I may have another piece ready to assemble tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I love stitching alphabets for some reason, and my family is always asking me the question...."don't you know your alphabet by now"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stitching is looking beautiful like always.
    Well done on another empty box ,are there many more or are you almost done .
    Enjoy a wonderful day hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ann, you have me chuckling because I know how much you love stitching alphabets. NOT! My husband always tells me that he already knows his ABCs and why do I need to keep stitching them. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete