In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Monday, December 5, 2016

Blink and it's over

I took the laptop to Williamsburg so I could blog while I was gone.

However, after very full days, my brain was applesauce. Blogging was beyond me.

So you're getting a very condensed version of the experience.

First and foremost, I had four fantastic classes with Jackie du Plessis, who can engineer the most detailed and incredible needlework pieces ever seen. I keep looking at the class projects and wondering how in the world she comes up with this stuff. Of course, it may have something to do with the fact that I think in two dimensions and she thinks in about five.

At least five.

Anyway, after the early bird classes (more about them later) the boutique opened, and this was my haul.


Catherine Theron of Theron Traditions offered several small designs, as well as a chance to catch up on her projects for chapters and guilds. I've hoped to find the strawberry kits for awhile--and was able to get them as well as several others. These will go in the travel bag.

You will notice that this is not my usual overflowing shopping cart. While there were more vendors than ever, there were only a few who had things I was interested in--and most of those things I already have. You realize this means that the funds budgeted for a blow-out at the boutique can now go elsewhere.

That evening we had the banquet, which ran overlong. The speaker was very entertaining, the mini-class for the ornament designed for the event by Sherri Jones of Patrick's Woods was thorough (and I definitely intend to stitch it before this Christmas season passes), but there was too much time allotted to door prize awards. And I say that even though I won one.

Ironically, the sampler chart I won was pretty much nothing but alphabets. We know how much I love stitching letters (insert sarcasm font here). So, although I was honored and amazed to have won, I was happy to hand the chart to another person at my table who really liked the design.

On to classes:


The first early bird class was the satchel to hold the Sweet Pea Sewing Set. The morning three-day class was the Sweet Pea Sewing Set. You will see what I managed to stitch in three days. Jackie had hoped we would all go home with a completed mini-pincushion, but that would involve cutting threads and finish-finishing--and I need to be home alone for that. 

The colors are wonderful, the design divine, it has a quote from Emily Dickinson. This is going in the sooner rather than later pile.

And then there was the second early bird class and the afternoon three-day class.


In the early bird class, I managed to get that ribbon doodad done, and I covered a button. That was the extent of the stitching on that.

And I got nothing stitched on Tribute. Do not let that innocent looking box fool you. It opens up and unfolds and there is an amazing structure inside. You have to see it to believe it. So that, too, is going on the sooner rather than later pile, so that perhaps you will have a chance to see the wonder that it is. Luckily we were able to make a paper mock-up so we'll know what to do with the stitched pieces--remember, I think in two dimensions, Jackie is somewhere way beyond me--and the mock-up made a major difference.

We didn't have much time for sightseeing this trip, since I was in class most of every day. We did go to a concert at the Governor's Palace one evening and then strolled down part of Duke of Gloucester Street, admiring the "candle" light and the decorations. Both went a long way toward getting me in a mood for Christmas.

However, after a very long drive home--we stopped on the way to take Baby Girl out for her birthday lunch, which has become an annual tradition--I have not threaded a needle. We're unpacking and doing laundry--and I have decided that next year I'm taking an extra day after we get home for re-entry. I have to go back to work tomorrow to earn my keep so I can keep going to workshops.

Even though I have enough in the stash to keep me going until I'm 385.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you about stitching in classes--I listen, I take notes, I ask questions--rarely do I accomplish much stitching. I prefer to stitch at my table at Needle Nicely or on my couch chez Cussen. But when I am there, I'm a stitching machine! Enjoy seeing all your new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy seeing what you do for these amazing classes. Beautiful patterns to stitch. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tribute looks like it will be a gorgeous piece (probably the prettiest project at this year's seminar, imho) and I am very interested to see all the tricky-fancy folding it does (is it anything like the way Amy Mitten's Quaker Sewing Bag works? have looked and looked at those pictures but am still not sure how it does what it does). How neat that your two early bird classes were companions to your "big" classes.

    The Williamsburg seminar is on my someday list (you'd think I would have managed to go when it was less than three hours away - sigh). So glad you got to go and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - not sure if you'll see this post as it's 2 months after the original. I just want to give you a head's up on the Spring Flowers Pincushion, the size is NOT 6" long. It ends up being like 6.5". This becomes important when you're switching to different color but same count size fabric. It's a fun stitch and I used Smyrna's the entire time instead of long arm and regular cross stitches. Love your blog! - Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up--I will make a note and put it with the kit.

      Delete