In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Multitasking

I've been slaving over a hot printer most of the evening. A new lesson for the Cabinet of Curiosities Class (aka the casket class) came out today.

There are 135 pages in this one lesson alone--plus another 35 on the project that accompanies it. When people ask me about the cost of the class, I just mention that I have over a hundred pages of incredible close-up pictures of a casket showing details that could not be seen by viewing through a case in a museum somewhere--and that's only in one lesson. And there are 18 lessons in just this course.

People also ask where I am in the design process for my casket. I pretty much know which motifs will be used on each of the two caskets I plan to stitch, but I'm still putting together ideas on the execution of those motifs. With each lesson that is posted, I see more stitch combinations and color ideas and tweaks on motif design. I truly do not plan to start stitching until the end of the second course, the one on stumpwork.

And, yes, I did say two caskets, as well as two or three mirror surrounds and a couple of trinket boxes.  And toys to go in each casket.

I have a tremendous talent for biting off more than I can chew.

Meanwhile, while I'm feeding paper to the printer and plugging in new ink cartridges and estimating just how many packages of sheet protectors I need to buy, I'm also stitching away on Ann Scutt.


One of the things I love about this band is the architecture of the foundation--those twisted motifs and the sprigs and leaves attached to them as well as the stems and leaves for the pansies. It's almost a shame that I'll soon start embellishing all this and the structure will be somewhat hidden.

Paradoxically, it's the embellishing that looks like it's going to be so much fun to stitch!


1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to hearing more about your casket journey.

    ReplyDelete