In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Crazies

 The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome.

I'm going to try a rotation of sorts. Again. After numerous epic fails at working rotations.

All of this started when a friend wrote me about her downsizing experiences. She only stitches samplers, and she discovered in her recent move that she had over fifty samplers kitted and ready to stitch. And, of course, since she has exquisite taste, all of them are lovely and she wants to do them all. So, she decided she wanted to get at least one stitch in every one of them, and to start, she is stitching on one a day every day in February. This means she will have 28 started projects at the end of the month.

Good thing this isn't leap year, or she would have 29.

I mentioned this to another friend, and she agreed with me--having 28 projects started would make us both feel overwhelmed. But, she said, she could see picking out 7 projects and working on one on specific days of the the week.

Several years ago, I wrote about trying this system, based on the way a quilting friend worked on her projects. I chose my projects, assigned one to each day, and tried it. Didn't work, but upon considering the schedule, I was also working full time. That meant I only had an hour or two in the evenings to stitch. My quilting friend had carved out about four to five hours, so it worked for her.

So I'm going to try a variation.  Hannah Thornbush and the Harmony Casket are the two projects that I want to focus on this year, so Hannah will still get her Sundays, and Harmony is going to get mornings. With retiring, I usually have three to four hours in the evenings to stitch.

I've decided to continue working on Carmen's Etui.

And I've added Tribute:

I have to say, I thought I had a whole lot more than this stitched.

I've also added Behold Thy Beauty:

I think I'm going to add a finishing evening to start putting some of the UFO's together.

That leaves a couple of evenings open. I'm going to think about what I want to do--I think it either needs to be something small or very close to a finish so I get that endorphin rush from a completed project.

So, this is going to start tomorrow with Sampler Sunday, and we'll see how far I get before something shiny grabs my eye and I go off in a totally different direction.

4 comments:

  1. Love your new start , I rotate my cross stitch all the time and other crafts . Then change my mind and go back to one .
    Then start again now today I am going to change it again work on one small one day and a large the next , see if this works for me . Enjoy your Sunday stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely choices you have picked to work on, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to schedule all your time. You can leave a slot or two empty, so if you're really enjoying something you can work on it twice in a week. It also leaves you time for when those emergency gift occasions come up. I find it inspiring that you manage to stitch so much! I have trouble just getting up to my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who calls her sewing room Functional Chaos. I don't think mine is functional, but it is chaos.

      Delete