In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Bordering on Obsession

I expected to dither for weeks as usual. I didn't expect to fall in love with this sampler as I stitched.

Here are today's borders on Morning Has Broken. I started the sawtooth border after getting some of the floral border in, which made the outer design easier to count.


I generally get very bored with borders. I think that's one of the reasons I like 17th century band samplers--no borders. (A friend reminded me that band samplers are basically a series of border patterns but I put my hands over my ears and sang"lalalalalala" very loudly. I don't want to think of them as borders, so I'm not.) However, this one has so many little sprigs and tendrils and other curlicues that it doesn't feel like I'm working any kind of border. The outer border is long-arm cross and sawtooth. I enjoy stitching both, so I'm having a lot of fun with this.

To avoid getting bored (and boring), I went stash diving for another SL repro to stitch as part of Nicola's Scarlet Letter year challenge. The one important factor in choosing the next SL project is size. If I'm going to become obsessed with Morning Has Broken, I do not need another big project right now.

Here are the candidates:


#1


#2


#3

I'm leaning toward #1--love that pink house--but I can be easily swayed. Any suggestions?

And I just realized this is my 300th post. Good Grief.  I have said this in other places but I'll repeat it here. I hear that all the cool kids are hanging out on Pinterest and Instagram, but I think I'm going to totter on with blogging until I run out of things to say. My family will tell you that is unlikely to happen.


6 comments:

  1. Please stick with blogging. I think it allows your readers to get into your thought process--or not, as the case may be! Always enjoy seeing what you are stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you keeping this blog! Lovely stitching and I will go for the house too. The pincushions look lovely but definitely #1 should be first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Pinterest or Instagram for me either. Could we see a picture of what Morning Has Broken will look like when finished? :)
    You are getting me excited for Catherine's classes in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for #1. Keep blogging!! Pinterest and Instagram are just sound bites :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no part in Pinterest and Instagram either. I would definitely go for #1 also. I am a sucker for a pink house! ;)

    ReplyDelete