In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Stay-cation!!!

No schedules, no deadlines, no voice mails or emails that have to be answered (for at least a week)!

I'm on vacation!

Usually we go somewhere when we take time off, but this time, we're hanging out at home.  I have announced that we are not doing any Projects Around the House beyond basic maintenance. We are feeding ourselves, doing only the laundry that must be done to keep us decent, and otherwise doing all those pleasurable activities that don't get enough time.

Which means that I am stitching.

Martha Edlin came out of her pillowcase. I thought about Mary Atwood but I wanted something with a little more color and Martha is definitely colorful.

This is where she was when I pulled her out:


I'll post an update tomorrow showing what I did today.

Yesterday I worked on the prework for the Betsy Morgan casket class.  And this is what I have done on that so far:


If my eyes get tired of 45 count, I'll go back to this.

On to more serious topics--our thoughts and prayers are going out to all the people who have lost their homes in the wildfires, and to all those who are suffering through this heat wave without electricity.  We had it brought home yesterday just how dangerous this heat can be.

I went to a stitch-in yesterday at the home of our sampler guild's hostess with the mostest. Those of us who are stitching ahead on the casket class wanted to get together to work together and compare notes. As usual, Sharon was so welcoming and generous with her hospitality, and we had the most delightful day of stitching and conversation--it's so much fun to do things like this in a group.

About an hour before we had planned to leave, we heard a big clunk. Sharon looked to see if she could see what happened, but from the front of her house, nothing was apparent. Not until we walked outside did we find that the lamp post at the end of her walk had been destroyed, as well as the shrubbery around it.  A pick-up truck had come to rest against the wall of the (luckily unoccupied) house next door.  There was no one in the cab.


911 was called.  Police and a fire truck appeared. We explained what we had heard and found. The police started searching for the driver--and found him, passed out on the other side of the house.  He was disoriented and collapsed again.  The EMTs from the fire department started checking him and paramedics were summoned.  It appears that it may have been a diabetes-related situation, but heat stroke could have played a part.


So stay hydrated and as cool as possible. If you don't have AC, find out if there's a cooling station you can go to. And please watch out for each other.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that you have a wonderful week Ann!
    That sampler is so wonderful, such beautiful colors.
    I am so glad that the driver of the truck was found and helped. This heat is just brutal.
    Stay cool, my friend!

    ReplyDelete