In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, December 3, 2023

U-Turn

 Well, I said I was going to stitch a leaf.

It just wasn't this leaf . . . or leaves.

I was planning to work some needlelace on a wire frame but apparently yesterday and today were not the days to work on anything other than sitting in a corner, perfectly still, and letting the world go past me. In other words, everything I touched did not match my expectations--like my favorite cookie recipe, my never-fail cookie recipe--the one I make several batches of during the holidays--well, it failed. Epically. I'm not sure if it's a different oven or something I did or did not do, but it didn't make cookies. It made very thin wafers. That crumbled if you looked at them.

I also stubbed my toe, and stuck a sharp needle into my thumb, which bled on the tape binding my hoop--luckily not the work in the hoop, but still . . . 

So I decided to work on something I knew I could do, and did:

I think I showed this to you when it floated up to the top of my stash. It's an ornament designed by Tricia Nguyen a couple of decades ago. I pulled it out of the Christmas bag this afternoon--the leaves are worked with a wrapped chain stitch, and I didn't have any problems with it.

Maybe this means my luck is changing, so the batch of cookies I'm going to bake tomorrow morning will result in something you'd want to eat.

4 comments:

  1. Uh,oh. Did you use Costco butter by any chance? I have heard stories of people having poor baking results with Costco butter this thanksgiving season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I used a house brand butter, the same I've used for decades--but it may have come from the same source as the Costco. I'm going to try another batch this morning with a different brand and see what happens. Thanks for the heads-up about the Costco butter, this may have solved the problem.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear we all have these days , I do to often ,I think it's my age ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am glad you didn't bleed on the project in the hoop. Your oak leaves look great. Have a good week, Ann!

    ReplyDelete