In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Monday, December 4, 2023

So close . . .

 I am so close to finishing this ornament--so very close.

I just have to add the spangles and put it together, and it can go on the tree. If I hadn't yawned so widely a minute ago that my jaw cracked, I'd stay up a little later, but it may be a bad idea to try to sew on wee tiny bits of metal with a sharp needle when you're about to fall asleep in your chair.

And, for those who might be interested, I baked a new batch of cookies today with better butter. They were still a little thinner and crisper than the usual--apparently everyone has a higher water content in their butter at the moment--but a vast improvement over the first batch. I may just bake yet another batch with Kerry Gold and see what happens with that.

I can hear both of my grandmothers whispering that I should just use the preferred fat of previous generations of Southern bakers, and they're both saying, "Honey, you should just use a good quality lard and those cookies would be perfect." My arteries are trying to explain that butter is quite good (bad) enough.

2 comments:

  1. Sub a little Crisco for part of the butter. Maybe 1/3. That has worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ornament is looking awesome, Ann. No tips on the cookies because I lack the baking gene. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete