In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Starting to Finish

I think I mentioned I had five projects hanging out in the basket by my chair that need finishing.

Normally, I would be in Williamsburg this week for the annual get-together of like-minded embroiderers and fans of dining out. In fact, last year's event was the last trip I made in 2020, and the last workshop I attended face-to-face, before the New-and-Unpleasant-Normal descended. Obviously, we are not meeting this week in person, but we are having a virtual event. So I am taking a week of vacation so I can Zoom with my friends.

And what better time than this to tackle those five projects, especially as I discovered that there was another member of our merry band who also has a stack of things to put together. I am not alone in enjoying the embroidery, but the sewing together part, not so much.

So this is what has been accomplished thus far:


As of this afternoon, I have the accessory pieces for Emie's Etui assembled. There is a needle book, a thread winder, and the scissors fob, which has a shorter cord than it should because I really don't like long cords on scissors fobs. I'm always afraid I'll cut the cord instead of what I should be cutting. In the interest of full transparency,  I say this because I have cut the cord instead of what I should have cut

The rest of the etui, the actual carrying case, is awaiting my needle. I have all the bits and pieces cut out--Betsy Morgan, who designed this set, uses an assembly line approach to putting her sets of smalls together.  However, I need to talk to Baby Girl again, since she figured out exactly how to put the carrying case together. Without being able to take the class, I'm not sure I could have done it by myself. I may have mentioned that Baby Girl can visualize things in three dimensions, so she is the perfect person to stitch something like this with.

So, I now have 4 2/3 projects left to assemble. We'll see how far I get this week!


5 comments:

  1. Completely beautiful start on your to-be-finished pile! I found it very interesting what you said about the length of the fob cord since it looks to be exactly the right length to me ... meaning it looks to be about the length I make my own fob cords. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the accessory pieces .
    Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finishing, Ann! Enjoy your Zoom retreat...glad you can still meet with your fellow enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, what a gift you have to be able to share our passion with Baby Girl! I think that's just marvelous and am very happy for you both--you have her and she has you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your week of Zooming and Finishing, and so glad to have you back on your blog. You have been missed!!

    ReplyDelete