In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Judy Souliotis

We've lost another treasure from the needlework world this past week.  Judy Souliotis has passed away.

I took this class from her through SNS a number of years ago, before I started blogging. It exhibits those characteristics that made her designs so compelling:  the elegance of her design line, her unerring sense of color, and her choice of the most appropriate stitches for each area.


Her directions were extremely well-written and made it obvious that she believed that her students were well able to live up to her standards.  While I never took a f2f class from her, I was delighted to stitch this design and to be a "ghost" in some of her classes. We had mutual friends, so we shared meals at Callaway and various ANG seminars while she was still traveling to teach. She was always a delightful companion with a sparkling smile.

I will miss knowing that she's in the world.

3 comments:

  1. RIP. Judy.....you will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone know if her designs will still be available for purchase? Stitches from the Heart does a great job with Jeanne Hilton designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I am currently culling my stash and have three Souliotis pieces I’d like to sell. One is the Floral Rondel pictured above. The other two are the two designs comprising Through the Garden Gate. If you are interested, feel free to email me (evelyn@petschek.com).

      Delete