In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Margriet Hogue

Margriet Hogue left us yesterday.

I have been stitching Margriet's reproduction samplers for about thirty years. I've been lucky enough to take classes from her, the first with the Carolina Sampler Guild decades ago, followed by sessions at Jeannine's Sampler Symposiums and events at Winterthur.

Her designs have challenged me, sometimes frustrated me, and always increased my skills, as well as deepening my fascination with Tudor and Stewart needlework.

It was always a joy to see a new pattern appear on her website. While I know that time has ended, I will treasure the projects I have stitched and have yet to do. 

I will miss her. 

2 comments:

  1. So well said! I will miss her terribly too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. Very few publish reproduction samplers with her level of complexity and accuracy any more. She stayed with me for a few days before COVID when she was teaching at the local sampler guild. After class, she wanted to see old barns and old fire escapes for some painting project she was planning. I sent her photos of barns for several years and I know she put one or two into her paintings. I will miss her, too.

    ReplyDelete