In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Good Things

There have been good things happening in my little corner of the stitching 'verse this week.

The first good thing:  Chrysanthemums in Autumn is moving right along:


I'm really pleased with the way the leaves look--it's been awhile since I did much surface stitching, but it's all coming back.


The directions said to just work detached buttonhole between the petals, but I liked the way it set off the design, so I outlined each petal completely.

If I am diligent and industrious, I could potentially finish the stitching on this by the week-end.

The second good thing:  Betsy Morgan took pity on me, and sent me a piece of silk so I can finish Can't See the Forest. That's on the to-do list for Saturday. And this time, I have highlighted the measurements I need to cut so I won't think I'm doing one thing when I should be doing another.

The third good thing (and this is a blatant plug for somebody and something):  SNS is offering Jane-Ellen Balzuweit's Royal Garden as an online class.


Of all Jane-Ellen's wonderful whitework designs, this is my absolute favorite. Actually, I started it a long time ago--I am ashamed to admit it has been languishing, partially stitched, for over ten years--and what's worse, I think the lady is the only element that needs to be worked.

So I am auditing the class.

The problem with whitework is that it doesn't photograph as beautifully as it looks in person, but believe me, this is one gorgeous piece, worked in about 35 or 40 different stitches. To see the whole thing, you need to look at the information at Shining Needle Society, and if you're not a member (it's free to join and you won't be driven crazy by multitudes of emails), contact Kate Gaunt@aol.com and she will get you on the mailing list.

I will repeat again. I am not remunerated for plugging SNS. I'm just so happy it exists, if for no other reason than to get me into trouble, that I want everyone else to have the opportunity.

And I am really happy that this class is going to push me to finally finish a piece that has deserved to be on display for way too long.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying your stitching - it is good to have a place one can retreat to with everything else going on!

    ReplyDelete