In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Chains and mail

I've spent a lot of time this week working the broad chain stitch on the side panel of Fair Maiden:


And you really can't see it unless you enlarge the picture, but every line on this section is filled with broad chain. The whole thing is outlined with broad chain worked in Gilt Silk Twist which can be finicky and works best if not rushed. This is not necessarily the time to use the electric needle and compete for who can stitch fastest--it's much prettier if worked carefully and deliberately. As I am not the most patient stitcher, I've had to take a few deep breaths along the way and remind myself I want it done well, not just simply done.

Maybe it's some kind of karmic reward for being careful. The mail carrier has been very nice to me this week.

First, this showed up:


Catalog for the Morven Museum exhibit of New Jersey schoolgirl samplers

This is a beautiful book for a sampler lover and includes extensive notes on the lives of the stitchers as well as information on each sampler. If you can't get to the exhibit, this is the next best thing. If you can get to the exhibit, this is a wonderful reminder.

Then, on the same day:


A kit from Alison Cole
There's an embroidery frame that arrived with it, but I can't get it all in the picture easily, so just take my word for it.

My dad's side of the family had a lot of Welsh blood and I've wanted this for awhile. I will probably wait to start on it until I have some days off during the holidays--I want to give it my undivided attention when I start.


The MOST exquisite laying tool
Hanson Stone, Portland OR

Gay Ann Rogers just wrapped up her eWeek and,this year, she offered some beautiful wooden and beaded accessories. They were all lovely and if my budget had allowed, I would have grabbed more. The artists who made this also do blown glass and buttons and so much more--and I'll share that info when I lay my hands on their business card again. I have already filed it in my collection of important business cards for artisans and crafters, since I know I will be contacting them again.

Other than that, I am puttering. I've reached the danger point on a number of projects--the middle--the point where there is no longer the excitement of starting a new project nor the thrill of seeing a finish in the near future. This way leads to disaster--or starting even more projects--and I have enough started, thank you very much.

Plus I'm taking several classes at Winterthur this week, which will add more to the Project Pile. This  symposium  offers lectures in the morning, then you get to choose among tours, more lectures, or stitching projects in the afternoons. I found with my first trip to Winterthur that I tend to get very heavy-eyed at afternoon lectures, so I need to do something, and doing something involves a threaded needle--so I have a class with Tricia Nguyen and two classes with Joanne Harvey.

And Shining Needle Society has announced the fall schedule:
  • a stumpwork class with Marsha Papay-Gomula. She's teaching two sewing accessories featuring birds, which will go very nicely with the needlecase I stitched from her through SNS a couple of years ago
  • Janet Zickler Casey's needlepoint Santa ornament
  • Carole Lake and Michael Boren's Stitchplay Stitch for a Cure project, this year to benefit Doctors without Borders and the fight against Ebola in Africa

What did I say about having enough started?

Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment