In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Want vs Need

As I've been unpacking my stash, I keep saying to myself, "I don't need to ever add another project."

But, then, there's wanting another project, especially a design that sings to you. (Apparently a lot of designs sing to me, but that's another issue entirely.)

Today the mail carrier brought me both a want and a need.

My copy of Catherine Barley's needlelace book fell apart awhile back. Actually, I had a rubber band holding it together. The rubber band was aged, and it disintegrated as I was taking the book out of the box. Pages cascaded across the floor. Colorful language was used.

This book has been out of print for a long time--the Bay of Evil had a copy priced at almost $200--and Catherine Barley has reprinted it herself and you can find it on her website. But in poking around the innerwebs, I found an independent book store that had a copy for less than $15. And today it came:


I was very happy to find it, and it arrived within a week of ordering!

And, then, as mentioned, there is want. And I wanted this:

If you read Inspirations magazine, you've seen Anna Scott's work. This was a class she recently,  and she had a few kits left over.

I wish I could say that I fought with Temptation, struggling to overcome the siren call. Nope, minute I saw it, I ordered it. I didn't even make an effort to tell myself I have enough. I just went for it.

And I wish I could start it, but I need to find my unoccupied scroll frames. So, back to unpacking.

2 comments:

  1. What fun mail you received, Ann! I would love to know more about the independent book store where you found your book.
    I don't tell myself I have pleny; if I want it, I get it. Because of the OOP and/or Hard to Find issues when I start seeing it out there being shared. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Anna Scott had stopped designing. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete