In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Something from the Stash

 Yesterday was a wash-out as far as actually threading up a needle and stitching was concerned.

It was the first day of another online class, this time a deep dive into whitework. We have a choice of working the whole sampler on a slate frame or working each term on a hoop. I've been working on hoops for the previous classes and decided to use a slate frame for this one.

And I found a slate frame. Only the roller bars were too short, so the linen wouldn't fit. So, OK, I've done the rest on hoops, I can do this one as well.

Only I haven't unpacked the 8" hoops. No idea which box they're in.

Even if I had had the hoop or frame, I couldn't have transferred the design. My water soluble marker, which I may have used once in the last twenty years, had dried up.

So I listened and made notes, and will continue to unpack, and now have an excuse to go to Joann's or Michael's for a water-soluble marker.

Then I realized I needed to find a Scarlet Letter design to work on for Saturday's Western Reserve Sampler Guild meeting. At the moment, I can only think of two that might be hiding in my UFOs or WIPs, and neither has reached the light of day.

But I did know where I had some kits, and Isabel Redie is coming out to play.

She's a big girl,  16 1/2" x 21 1/2" on 40 count. And she is started. I inherited her from a dear friend who died 20 years ago after a sudden illness. Roxie had basted the upper margin and begun the twining vine for the border. I think Isabel is going to be fun to stitch--she has a couple of bands that look like the 17th century band samplers I love, and all kinds of motifs.

And not a lot of letters.

I will have to build a house, though. At least it's not a big house.

3 comments:

  1. Isabel is a beauty. A number of years ago my sis and bil were in England and they picked up for me an outtake from Isabel. It was a kit and done on 14 count aida. I took one look at those steps that used 3/4 stitches and switched to as 32 count linen. I sent an email to the UK company asking why put this sort of design on aida and not a an evenweave/linen and their comment was no one had asked that question before. I so enjoy looking and reading your blog. Gorgeous day here in south-western Ontario
    Maria S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish that a lot of the kit makers would go to either linen or an evenweave, especially with sampler-related designs. I'm definitely a linen snob! Ann

      Delete
  2. Lovely choice with Isabel, Ann! Hope you find your 8" hoops quickly. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete