In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Planting a Tree

Last night I couched down the gimp that creates the trunk and limbs of the tree on Eve.


Today's plan was to add the leaves and quite possibly wind the snake around the trunk.

However, after spending a few more hours than usual sitting over the frame stand yesterday, my neck, shoulders, and back told me in no uncertain terms that I would not be sitting over a frame stand today.

So I puttered around the house and looked at stuff on Pinterest and Facebook and caught up on reading blogs and did a little bit of housework. Finally I decided I could probably stitch if I didn't bend over the frame stand, so I pulled out the next little sampler kit and started on its border.

If you look at this picture, you'll see a needle sticking in the border.


If you look very closely, you'll see that most of the stitches below it have been clipped so they can be removed.

I got off by one linen thread and was almost through with the whole outer border when I discovered the mistake.

I think I should have continued to putter.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Growing a Spine

Today I finished the second grassy knoll and embellished the spine section of Eve in the Garden.


It doesn't look like much for a whole afternoon of stitching, but setting in those metal threads was not a speedy process. One, in particular, had a tendency to snag on everything, including air.  The air, I might add, sometimes turned blue in the process.

Friday, March 24, 2017

A Grassy Knoll

The first of the two grassy knolls is stitched on Eve in the Garden.


This is actually a raised stitch which is worked over a rod--or, in the 21st century, a very small sock needle. Obviously, after you work the stitches, you carefully slide the needle out, which ruffles up the stitches just a wee bit, but makes them look grassier--if that's a word.

It does help if you know where the needle is. It came with the original kit. But one of the problems with letting things age in ones stash is that sometimes things go walkabout, and my needle did. Luckily I also knit socks on occasion, and I have a plethora of knitting needles of all types and sizes, so I was able to find the right size.

I just have to remember to put that needle back with the pair of socks I'm working on when I get through planting grass. Otherwise, in three or four years when I have another mad desire to make the rest of the sock, I'll be in trouble on that front.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Happy Day

The background for Eve in the Garden is done!!


And I have the band for the EGA Group Correspondence Course finished!


And I haven't had to sleep in a chair for two nights--so my back is much improved!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

The results of being a klutz

Wednesday evening I returned home from my ANG meeting, having enjoyed myself tremendously as I usually do at that gathering.

Somehow I either tripped over my own two feet or the first step to our front stoop and very nearly did a face plant on the bricks. This would probably have resulted in broken glasses, broken nose, broken teeth, and potentially a broken jaw. Instead, I managed to grab the rail along the steps and avert major disaster.

I thought.

Instead, I wrenched my back. I didn't realize this--I thought my arm and shoulder bore the brunt--until about three in the morning when my back started to spasm. Muscle relaxers and major pain meds made life somewhat bearable, but very loopy. Having to alternate sleeping in bed and in a chair also made me a little drowsy as well as loopy. So I was home from work for a couple of days.

Despite loopiness and drowsiness, I thought I could work on Eve's background. And I did. I am not going to look too closely as the workmanship on this, however,


About another inch and I can start the fun stuff.

Today, though, I'm going to see if I can work on the next band on Isabella, the correspondence course from EGA. I think I can get by with the OTC stuff instead of the hard-core meds, and that will mean that I won't be embarrassed to turn it in.

Hopefully.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

More work in progress

My little lunchtime crewel piece is moving along. In fact, I have finished one of the motifs completely.


I have to admit, I've very pleased with this one, especially the shading on the leaves. And I'm really looking forward to working on the big flower in the center.

Now if I can just get over feeling discombobulated and out of sorts so I can stitch when I get home . . . DST is still kicking me in the posterior!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Snow and Soup and Stitching

It actually did snow today! It lasted most of the morning, turned the tree limbs into spun sugar and created a hush that no other event can--then it stopped and the sun came out and it all melted away.

For those who deal with lots of snow every winter, this may seem ideal. For those of us who don't see the white stuff very often, it just wasn't quite enough--although I'm afraid the cold snap that is accompanying the weather front is going to kill all the blooms and blossoms.

Anyway, I had made soup and cornbread yesterday, so we had a good snowy weather lunch, and I had already decided that I was going to stitch all day.

And that means that this got finished:


Four Silver Needles
David McCaskill design

Now I need to decide what to work on next.  I guess I could pull another project out of one of the vacation totes since that seems to be working well. Then again,  Eve has been neglected for two weeks and her background isn't going to stitch itself.

Or I could try to go to bed a little early since I have to get up even earlier. Yes, it's time for my annual Daylight Savings Time rant.  I really, really hate feeling jet-lagged for the next two weeks without the benefit of traveling anywhere and having fun to compensate for it.