In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Friday, September 22, 2023

No Way in Blankety-Blankety-Blank-Blank-Blank!

 There are some things you can do on autopilot. Loading the dishwasher, or brushing your teeth, or running the vacuum. I hate to admit it, but there were times in my working life that I drove myself to or from work without realizing how I got from Point A to Point B. (This is not safe, and I don't recommend it.)

Stitching is one thing that should never be done on autopilot.

But I did.

It was time to do the personalization at the bottom of the Eternal Flame Huswif. I charted out my name and the date, stitched them in, and started the background.

All of this is tent stitch over one thread.

I didn't notice that the date was one thread higher than the name.

I was filling in the background, working the tent stitch diagonally, and was halfway through the background on my name when I realized that there were suddenly four threads above the capital letters when I had had three above the numbers.

Well, phooey.

Please note that is not what I actually said.

I went for a walk. On that walk, I decided that perfection is vastly overrated and that it can't be seen from the back of a galloping horse and that there is no way in Perdition (not the word I used) I was going to rip out that much tent stitch over one.

But I will be more mindful of my stitching in the future.

8 comments:

  1. It looks great and the discrepancy can’t be seen. Good decision not to rip it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ann, thank you for the chuckle! I wouldn't rip it out either. Your block looks super and until you mentioned it, I didn't notice it. I have done that autopilot driving thing as well. Nope, wouldn't recommend it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who has to say that's not the way you wanted it in the first place. Looks great to me. I never noticed till you said something. big hugs Lynda Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind words! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. Certainly would not take anything out. Finished is better than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't rip it out either. I miscounted the other day when stitching my name (over one) and soon realised my last name wasn't going to fit, so I just used my middle name instead and added a heart. Only you will ever know it wasn't meant to be like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to meet you on Zoom today. Remember, perfection is the ENEMY of good. As Jean Lee says, “ always go forward.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you didn't let the "frog" visit"...it looks perfect as is!

    ReplyDelete