In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Deadly Dull and Boring

Paint drying . . . grass growing . . .still deadly dull and boring around here.

If I get to pick up a needle tonight and that's a really big IF, it will be to fix the hem on my black dress pants.

For a very brief moment of insanity as I was driving home from work, I thought I could slap the pants on the sewing machine and get this done in a flash.

Reality quickly intruded.

This is the sewing machine I bought after my 1948 Singer finally breathed its last. It stayed in the box it was shipped in--unopened, I might add--for over a year before I finally opened the box, removed all the packing material, and set the thing up on the kitchen table.

It took me over an hour to read the manual and get the bobbin wound and the machine threaded.

It took about 20 seconds to sew the one seam I needed to machine sew.

Then I packed the machine in the carrying case I bought at the same time as the machine--also unopened in its shipping box until then--and put it away.

I have determined that by the time I wind another bobbin with black thread and thread the machine and figure out how to do the hemming stitch, I could have done the hem by hand. About twenty times.

So that's my excitement for the evening. Hope yours is much more interesting than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment