In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Friday, February 17, 2023

Crisis averted (stitching crisis, that is)

 I was meandering through Etsy a couple of weeks ago, looking for a designer whose work I'd seen but hadn't bookmarked (note to self, bookmark sites on Etsy because you get into major trouble wandering), when I ran across a lovely set of stitched hearts.

They were designed to be brooches. I am not a brooch-wearing person, but I thought they'd make lovely Christmas ornaments, and the kits was relatively inexpensive, so I succumbed.

The kit arrived. 

Dearly Beloved had to sign for it, and asked me what I had ordered from Chile.

Huh?

No written directions but a link to a video.

In Spanish.

BDE said I should be able to figure a lot out--after all, I had years and years of Latin. I informed her that written Latin and spoken Spanish are worlds apart. But I sat down and watched the whole video, and was absolutely thrilled to discover that every step of the process is covered in great detail. (and the designer's manicure is way cool!)

I believe I can do this just by watching the video! YAY! Crisis averted!

Meanwhile, I got the motif for this week's stumpwork class stitched.

When I've done buttonhole stitches on detached stumpwork elements before, you just work the buttonhole over the wire. Apparently the RSN way is to work overcast stitches first, then go back over with buttonhole. It makes sure you don't have any little bits of the wire poking out, and probably results in a more stable edge since it has two layers of stitching. But it took pretty much all afternoon, and my hands were weary when I finished.

I'd planned to set up the next two motifs for next week's class, but the silk is getting Fray-Chek around the edges before I go any further! It was fraying so badly that I was wondering if I'd have any left by the time I got this one little bit stitched. I'm going to stitch at least 7 more motifs on this one piece of silk, so I need to stabilize it before I do anything more.

Today, I plan to set up the padding for the next two motifs on the goldwork class. With luck, I can get at least one of those motifs covered with gold before I go to bed tonight.

5 comments:

  1. i think I was tempted by those same kits on Etsy! It's good to know that the video is extensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the heart , you are so brave with your stitching , have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to bookmark Etsy shops because I either forget where I saw something or I wander and get enticed by something else. Have a wonderful weekend, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Needlework is a universal language!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are on your way to feeling better 😁! I have matched and received the silks and the linen for my RST 1779 Netherlands Queen Stitch Spot Motif sampler reproduction model but think I will chart something I hope to teach in December first since you are still on the mend 💗💗💗.

    ReplyDelete