In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Friday, January 27, 2023

That bat out of hell just flew out the window

Last year, I started a lot of projects and finished very little. So, this year, I planned to stitch like a bat out of hell and get some things done, done, DONE!

That may not work out quite the way I planned.

We're getting to the TMI part of this post, so if you're here for the stitching, you may want to scroll down to the photos. For the last couple of years, I've had problems with wacky thyroid numbers. The last biopsy I had at the end of December showed cancerous cells. Luckily, I was able to see a surgeon right away, and part of my thyroid was excised in an out-patient procedure yesterday. The surgeon said that everything went beautifully and I should be fine, based on what the pathologist finds.

I'm still a little groggy from the anesthesia--it takes me awhile to get it out of my system--and it looks like my neck has been slashed--wait! it was!--but the main problem is this: it's going to take the other side of my thyroid a little time to get up to speed, especially since it now has to do the work of both sides. It will take two or three months to see if it can handle the demand, but they have to wait until then to determine if I should take a supplement. Unfortunately, during that time, I should expect to feel generally fatigued. All the time. 

Blankety-Blank.

I have plans to attend workshops in February, March, and April. I have two online courses I'm taking, a stack of projects in the stash, and an EGA pilot to finish. And I'm going to be constantly tired?

Well, phooey.

Dearly Beloved says that I'm so hard-headed I'll probably forge ahead and get it all done anyway. However, I'm going to need to be a little more productive than I have been since the last post.

On Monday, I started stitching a band that will go along the top of a pocket for Jackie's Gardenesque. I took the class originally at Salty Yarns, but am going to take a refresher at Sassy Jack's in March to get it completely finished. 


I don't like the way my Lazy Daisy stitches look on this, so I had already planned to remove them an do a broad chain stitch instead.

On Tuesday, I added some of the metallic thread to the background of Amy Mitten's grasshopper.

 
I have a solid silver thread to add to the background, then I can move to the caterpillar.

On Wednesday, I worked on the second pocket for Jackie's Dear Heart.


I had thought I would work on this today; it should be easy enough since it's all repetition--but I'm still getting cross-eyed when I try to focus, so I'm going to watch some mindless TV and veg for another day.

But hopefully, just for one more day.

I have things to do!




4 comments:

  1. Oh Ann , Hope you will feel better soon .
    Get your self rested and don't push yourself yet.
    Enjoy your weekend Hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, wishing you a full recovery. Glad to hear your surgery went smoothly. Do what you can when you can! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, sorry to hear about your thyroid issues. I've been on synthroid since I was 25...a very looong time. I hope your numbers are in the normal range soon and you get your energy levels back. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete