In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday-itis

This has been a Monday and then some.

I bebopped into work this morning with as cheery a demeanor as one could have on a Monday morning, and for about an hour and a half, everything went well.

Then the tracking system I use went down.

The last time this happened, some yo-yo in IT had decided to play with space allocations on the various servers we use and OOPS removed some of our space. This may have happened again. We immediately fired off emails and entered a service request.

That was OK, I had things I could do with the social media part of my job.

Except I couldn't access my administrative log-in.

I was beginning to wonder if my services were no longer being required when I found that no one else could log in either. That was something of a relief.

A group of us went out to lunch to welcome a new coworker and that was lovely.

And back to work, where nothing was working. Still.

You may have noticed I don't handle boredom well.

At least, I thought, I had things to do at home after work. I even worked out a very efficient timetable in my head during my drive home:  walk in the door, set down my things, and immediately drag out the vacuum cleaner and get the downstairs vacuumed. As soon as I finished that, I planned to put some potatoes on to boil so I could make potato salad for the rest of the week (it's really better the next day). While they were cooking, I would iron Dearly Beloved's shirts. Then I could throw dinner on while the potatoes cooled enough to handle and we could eat, then I'd put the salad together. After all this industry, I'd grab a quick shower and then settle down to stitch the rest of the evening.

I walked in the door to find that our electricity was out.

No vacuuming, no ironing, no potato boiling.

We had a sort of lackadaisical conversation about going out to eat, but that would have required Dearly Beloved to  change into clothes that could be seen in public. We then briefly discussed having Chinese delivered, but the place we loved has changed hands and it hasn't been the same since.  It's cloudy again, so I couldn't see to stitch. I could read, so I read yesterday's newspaper while Dearly Beloved viewed the interior of his eyelids.

He finally decided we could grill hamburgers for dinner and set out to do that, only to have it start raining.

I made PB&J for him and a tomato sandwich for me. We ate.

And about fifteen minutes ago, the lights came back on.

At this point, I'm over the idea of being industrious in any way, shape, or form. And, quite frankly, I'm a little afraid to try to stitch since I have a feeling I'll have to fight off the frogs if I do.

It would fit with the way the rest of the day has gone.

5 comments:

  1. I hope Tuesday works out better. I think that you handled Monday well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear!! And I thought my Monday was bad... Our car is parked on communal car park & the idiot next to us opened his door... onto our car! Result: dent & paint scratch... Cheers selfish brain dead imbecile!!! And yes, had to go to work after a week off... So not in the mood :D But I've enjoyed my cross stitch time at the end of the day :) I'm sure Tuesday will be better x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. That sounds like a Monday that is attempting to tell you something. Not sure what though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh when you got to grilling burgers and it started raining. That was just the topper. Good news, Monday is over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, no umbrella held over DB while he grilled? I was Most Impressed - note capitals- at the list you put together on the drive home even though not one darn thing was accomplished you certainly tried!

    We have a very electric house here and I do not do well without coffee.......

    ReplyDelete