In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

New Normal

There's been a longer gap than usual between blog posts as I navigate the new normal. With consultations about Mother's health and prognosis, conversations with The Saint and Mother about Mother's health and prognosis,  the two-hour drive each way to see how Mother is doing for myself, and a rather hectic work schedule (which will be getting more hectic in the next few weeks),  blogging had to take a back seat. It may be that way for awhile.

I've stolen a few minutes here and there to stitch:

The stitching part of the Beaded Garden Accessories set has been finished:


Yes, I know part of them are upside down to the others.  This is due to long stretcher bars and short arms.


I finished filling in the rest of the colored bits in the cartouche for Eve in the Garden. Now I'll start to fill in the insides with Eve and Adam.

The original design has the Tree of Life and the Serpent on both sides. I've been thinking of changing that a little so I can put name and date on the left side, which will be the bottom of the box when it's put together. I had thought of stitching Adam and Eve as they were before the Serpent entered the picture, but Dearly Beloved was shocked. As we can't have Dearly Beloved shocked, I've changed my mind on that.

By the way, Tricia is offering Eve in the Garden as an online class which will start October 1. I understand that there is a limit to the number of participants who can take the class. As usual, I don't profit from enabling--I just like to enable so others will sign up which will keep my favorite designers designing.

And a lot of reading material arrived in my mail box:


I've read Inspirations and NeedleArts from cover to cover. Just Cross Stitch, not so much. Like every other serious stitcher I know, I am so sad that Annie's Attic has chosen to cease publishing Sampler & Antique Needlework Quarterly. Actually, I was planning to drop JCS, and renew SANQ for three years when that subscription ended. I am willing to give JCS a chance to offer some of the same types of project that was published in SANQ, but if they don't take the opportunity, I'll be gone. I have a feeling that I'm not the only one to feel that way, and I wonder how much longer JCS will be around.

And what about finishing, you ask. Until things settle down, I'm not chancing it. I can take out stitches I put in the wrong place. If I cut fabric the wrong way, it's not quite as easy to repair.

Of course, I think I need to start another finishing basket since the current one is still full.

2 comments:

  1. Ann-I feel exactly the same way about SANQ and JCS. Thanks for putting it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard that about SANQ. Did I miss the memo?

    ReplyDelete