In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Off Track

My 87-year-old mother took a tumble this week, so the usual plans for the week and week-end have been derailed.

What she told The Saint* and me was that her knee "gave out." What she didn't tell us was that she hit the floor and was bruised, bleeding, and disoriented. What she didn't tell us was that she had to start using a walker to get around. What she didn't tell us was that she had planned to drive herself to the doctor's office, which alarmed the administration at the retirement center where she lives so much they called The Saint to intercede.

The Saint apparently broke all land and sea records to get to her so she could get her to the doctor's office. The Saint then called me and told me not to come--at least not until the week-end. So that's what we're doing this week-end. Baby Girl is coming, too.

We do expect her to recover. We have also realized that one of us absolutely has to be available for any medical situations. Mother is deaf as a post--which she refuses to admit--after all, she can "hear whatever I need to hear"--well, no, she can't. I have suggested that she take a notebook with her and write down what she hears, then check with the doctor or physical therapist to make sure she has it written down correctly. I think that will help, as well as give her another pathway to remember things.

I hope I'm still as self-sufficient and independent as she is, assuming I'm still around in another 25 years. But I just hope I can accept help when I need it!

So there is almost no stitching going on, even though I definitely need it for stress relief. I'll be back on track with that and the blog once we know what we need to handle and how best to handle it.

* The Saint is my sister, who generally deals with my mother's issues and affairs.

2 comments: