In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Loopy

Last night I started stitching the leaves on the tree on Eve.


You create them by wrapping a loop of gimp around the needle as it comes through the linen, then couching the base of the loop with the thread in the needle.  This sounds like no problem at all, but it was giving me fits last night when I wanted to change direction to go around the shape.

In another of my remarkable headslap moments, I realized life would be easier if I stitched a tiny tacking stitch after every few stitches, especially when I wanted to change direction. Of course, I thought about doing this right at bedtime, and as I am still a wage slave, I couldn't stay up half the night finishing the leaves.

And, then, driving home from work this afternoon, my stitcher's ADD kicked in and I decided that I want to do something else tonight. I'm not sure quite what, but something different. I also decided that I would be happier working the loops--and the rows of metal thread that surround the cartouches on front and back--when I have natural light--which means week-ends.

Meanwhile, my work project is slowly progressing. The framework that divides the various motifs is done.


I'm still having fun with my foray into crewel. I just need to decide which motif I want to work on next.

But now I'm going to go play in the stash and see what strikes my fancy for tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Couching those loops of gimp sounds like one of those things that would work better if you had three hands. Eve is already beautiful and is going to be amazing when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete