In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Days Three and Four

I really did plan to blog every day, but the group went out to dinner together last night. My dinner was excellent (go to the Blue Talon if you visit Williamsburg) and I was barely able to totter back to my room as a result. (And I even brought a doggie bag back to Dearly Beloved, and he had enough for a full meal.)

Anyway, I'm still working on a different project every day.

Yesterday was Rebekah French:


Today was Sally Munro:


I did not get very far. For one thing, rice stitch takes me forever. Some people hate Queen stitch. I kinda like Queen stitches. I get just a tad bored with rice stitches and Smyrna crosses. Luckily I have a lot of Queen stitches in this pieces. Unfortunately, the whole border is rice stitch.

We also had two lectures this afternoon.

One of our group has been collecting textiles for 50 years, and she brought a very small number of her vast collection for us to view. We were asked not to post photos online, but just let me say, they were indeed drool-worthy. There is an embroidered strawberry on one of her silk pinballs that literally made my heart go pitty-pat.

Our other lecturer was Katherine Duiguid, who is a professor at NC State and who has done fascinating research on color and how texture and material alter our perception of it. That color wheel we all learned about? Forget it! Katherine is also teaching some of her embroidered designs in venues throughout the country, and she is a delight to listen to.

To add to the pleasure of the day, Baby Girl drove up today and joined us for the last little bit of the vacation.

I just wish it didn't have to end . . .

2 comments:

  1. Well, you may not like rice stitches, but you stitch them beautifully - the short corner legs look very distinct (mine *never* look like that).

    Sounds like the lectures were a fascinating treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're having a good time and getting a lot accomplished.I wanted to come but couldn't pull it together since I only heard about it 10 days ago. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete