In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Discombobulated

I've been totally discombobulated since Tuesday morning, when I realized it was July 1 and half the year is gone.

Where did it go?

I'm even more confused because I usually have more finished projects by now. This year, not so much.

Mary Corbett wrote a blog entry several days ago about being overly optimistic about how much she can stitch--and she stitches full time! I suffer from the same problem. I never think things will take nearly as long as they do, and that I can stitch faster than I actually can. Apparently, as I get older and creakier, my turbo needle is rusting along with me.

However, I have been stitching this week.

 This little tag will adorn the flap of the Posey Needlebook. Notice the date. I'm at least optimistic about this piece.

This pretty piece will become the thimble well that fits into the pin pillow.

This was the MOST fun to stitch! I love the way the wool thread lofts up and covers the linen threads and I love the soft pastels. And it went FAST!!

Tuesday, the day of my discombobulation, I finally managed to get the blue flowers finished and one of the strawberries stitched. I have to finish the berry on the other side of the flowers, and then I'll have to do the whole thing over again on the other side of the bee skep. I'm going to use a sharp needle for the backstitch in the flowers, hoping that it will make that process a little easier. Backstitch over one is a pain.

And last night I finished this motif. I had time to work on the next section, but I had totally run out of gas and stumbled off to bed. Actually I'm enjoying this series of motifs. The couching patterns are very interesting visually, although, sadly, you can't see the sparkle the metallic thread provides.

Tonight I work on Eve in the Garden, and then, to celebrate the Fourth, I plan to spend the next three days with needle in hand. I haven't completely decided which project I'll enjoy over the three-day week-end, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to playing with some new recipes. I may even run the dust cloth around the most obvious places!

2 comments:

  1. It's interestng how some years seem more productive than others. I think sometimes we have to take into account the complexity of what we're working on that year or how many big projects we've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful progress on all and I will be with you in spirit, stitching the holiday away and enjoying every minute!! Laura

    ReplyDelete