In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Friday, February 26, 2016

In Full Retreat

After being buffeted by the winds--and the only time EVER that I thought riding the Jamestown Ferry was going to make me seasick--Dearly Beloved and I have arrived in Williamsburg for my needlework retreat and his immersion into colonial times.

There are those who believe that Dearly Beloved never quite gets out of a colonial mindset . . .

I brought four projects, which will be seen later.  I don't have much time this morning--we have a special junket planned and I still need to dry my hair.

However, our event organizers, both lovely and gracious ladies who think of EVERYTHING and then some, provided us with special treats.


We have a silver box with the Colonial Williamsburg cipher and, to place in it, a Governor's Palace Threadwinder (it is just that cool so it needs to be capitalized) made by the inimitable, talented, incredible Rachel Kinnison of Ladies' Repository.  And it is personalized and dated. And the finish is incredibly smooth.

And it has led to other things.

Tricia Nguyen has a small casket box that is perfect for sewing accessories. Not that the others she offers are not, but they seem to require more elaborate embroideries. I believe that I need to get the smaller one, and embroider scenes from Williamsburg for it. After all, Dearly Beloved and I visit at least twice a year, we have indoctrinated our children to believe that this the best place to come for a special vacation, and when I am too old to totter down Duke of Gloucester Street, I will have it to remind me of pleasant days spent here. And, since there are rumors that there will be more accessories to come in future years, there will be a place to house them.

That's the plan. Now to make the time.

3 comments:

  1. I adore Williamsburg, too and have spent many happy times there. Can't wait to see more pics. Wish I could get my hands on one of those thread winders. Love it! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you like your thread winder Ann, it was an honor to make it for you! kindest, rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! And can't wait to see what you come up with next!

      Delete