In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Major Happy Dance

In the Mood Red is completed!


Now that it's done, I'm going to work on the stitching for Jackie du Plessis' Trianon and Tricia Nguyen's Eve in the Garden of Eden on the week-ends for awhile. Actually, I did pull Eve out of her pillowcase Thursday night and realized my life would be much easier if I basted the outlines for the front, spine, and back before I went any further. That pretty much took up my stitching time for that evening. Now I can get back to stitching the designs and experimenting with the threads on that piece.

A friend once asked how I could reconcile stitching some of the glitzy canvases I do with samplers and smalls.

The flippant answer is that it all involves  a threaded needle.

It's actually more than that. I think they appeal to different parts of my stitching life.  The canvas pieces tend to involve different techniques and materials from the samplers I love to stitch. Those are usually created with silk and linen only. I've always loved toys--the smalls appeal to that desire to play with little things. And then there are the over-the-top designs and stitches of the 17th century projects . . . which, when you stop to think, have as much of the glitz as the contemporary pieces do. Hmmmmmmm . . .

Basically, it does boil down to a threaded needle. Let's just leave it at that and forget analyzing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment