In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A knotty situation, part II

And here is a completed knot:



I will tell you a little secret--I use a sharp needle when I do satin stitch on samplers and pierce the ground fabric if I need to to get a smooth look.  I've had teachers tell me that I shouldn't do that for conservation purposes since it could weaken the fabric.

To them I say, "Nay, nay."

I do not believe that 17th century embroiderers thought about conservation and long-term survival. I think they thought about how the finished embroidery would look. I think they put the stitches where they looked best.  And if it takes a sharp needle to do that, I will use a sharp needle.

Notice I did not say that this was a safe pursuit. I have left my DNA in a number of projects in which the sharp needle pierced not only the thread but my tender and delicate personage as well. However, I do like the way my satin stitches look.

And on a totally different topic, today is my Little Sister's birthday.  Granted, she's been much taller than I for years, but she will always be my Little Sister. And I love her. So, Happy Birthday to you!

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I stitch for how it looks to me now. I won't be upset if what I stitch doesn't make it to the year 2212.
    Your knot looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your satin stitches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete