Given the difficulties I've had counting, I was afraid to start stitching from the top down. I figured if I did, I'd either leave the tree floating in mid-air . . . .or . . . and this is way more likely . . . I'd run into the border before I ran out of tree.
I've never been able to comfortably stitch from the bottom up although I know people who always do their samplers that way. So I've flipped the chart and the scroll frames upside down and stitched merrily away. (Autocorrect just changed "merrily" to "terribly". Autocorrect may know something I don't. I'm not going to look too closely at this tree in case Autocorrect is correct. I've changed it back to "merrily" and it seems to be staying that way, but I'm still not going to look too closely.)
Anyway, this seems to be a good thing to do on a rainy and windy afternoon.