In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Off the Social Merry-go-round

We are officially back to our normal rut.

In betwixt and between the running about this week, I have stolen every moment possible to work on Briar Rose. I am delighted to announce the embroidery is complete!


What I wish the pictures would show--and won't, since I'm taking them late in the evening with artificial light--is how much the center stitches set off the pattern. They make the whole design come alive.

Nope, even a close-up doesn't do the centers justice.

Oh, well.

For those who may be curious, we survived the social whirl.

The Baby Boomer Health seminar basically recapped everything that's been published in the last five years on keeping ones faculties into ones doddering old age:  30 minutes of exercise a day, avoiding white flour and white sugar and white rice, constantly looking for new things to learn, maintaining social relationships, eating a Mediterranean diet, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Then we segued into the infomercial, in which the presenters attempted to sell us a variety of "supplements" to "enhance" the gains made by doing all the things above. We did not succumb to the snake oil sales pitch.

Last night I went to ANG. It was good to see people again since I've missed the last two meetings. 

And tonight we had a very early dinner with former neighbors. It was a delicious meal. Unfortunately we were regaled with an organ recital, the term two of my great-aunts used to refer to public discussion of ones health and the condition of ones innards.  Dearly Beloved said he now knows more about the wife's personal situation than he does about mine, and we've been married for 38 years and 364 days.

And, yes, we celebrate our 39th anniversary tomorrow. At present, the plans consist of pizza and cake. After this week, an evening at home sounds delightful.

3 comments:

  1. Ann, just love the term 'organ recital' so true with some and the medical over share. I also loved watching your Briar Roses come to life and last but not least...Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me giggle! It seems the older we get the more the no. 1 topic of conversation at any social gathering, large or small, is the state of one's health. Briar Roses is a lovely piece; I took the class with Jackie when she taught in England a few years ago. Enjoy your wedding anniversary celebrations, whatever you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete