In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Blessings-

So many things to be thankful for this year . . .

  • First and foremost, my family.  Dearly Beloved, who has cheerfully tolerated my obsession with all things needle-related, even expressing sincere interest at times, as well as tolerating my other obsessions and idiosyncrasies.  The Big Kid,  who is not only a responsible adult, but also a caring daddy to The Flash.  The Big Kid's Wife, who makes him happy.  The Flash--'nuff said.  And Baby Girl, who is truly one of my best friends (and co-conspirators!)
  • My friends, many of them made through the Carolina Sampler Guild, ANG, and EGA.  We would probably be friends anyway, but this love of needlework makes our bonds even stronger.
  • My job.  I'm happy to be employed, but even more than that, I'm happy to work with a delightful and diverse group of people whose company it is a pleasure to enjoy.
  • The designers and teachers who have brought us so many lovely designs to stitch and who have taught us how to stitch them.  We are also incredibly lucky to be needleworkers at this time, when there are so many threads and implements to enhance our enjoyment. 
  • Williamsburg. Every time I step on Duke of Gloucester Street, I feel as though I've come home.  Add to that, two of my favorite stitching events are held there every year.
  • Chicken crepes and French onion soup at the Blue Talon in Williamsburg
  • Spring at Brookgreen Gardens in South Carolina.  The azaleas alone will take your breath away.
  • Fall in the mountains of West Virginia. Glorious colors as far as the eye can see.
  • The glow of candlelight in tall brass candlesticks.
  • Spring and summer trips to the local farmers' markets, choosing fat, red tomatoes and sweet, juicy peaches
  • The end of the year, from Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve,  a time for special music, and Scrooge, and the scent of the Christmas tree perfuming the air.
  • Crisp white linens on the table with the good china and crystal
  • Books. Lots of books.
  • Antique stores with treasures waiting to be found
  • Samplers. 
  • Emails from friends and blogs to read
  • A lazy day for needlework and a good book

No comments:

Post a Comment