In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Saturday, March 23, 2024

Black Swan Studio

 I just got home from the inaugural session of Black Swan Studios, a collaboration between Jackie du Plessis and Kimberly Young, the owner of Sassy Jack's Stitchery.

In a word, WOW!

Jackie reproduced a sampler from Kim's collection, then added smalls based on motifs found in it along with a pocket that displays many of the most familiar sampler motifs. Kim organized and kept everything running smoothly. And every day we had special gifts from both Jackie and Kim. Of course, Jackie's presents were needlework-related, while Kim's reflected artisans from the area. (Keep in mind that Weaverville is just next door to Asheville, NC, a Mecca for artisans and artists of all kinds.)

And look at this gorgeous kit!

The best part? They kept the group a reasonable size, and encouraged cooperation and creativity. We had time to stitch and to ask questions and experiment. So many workshops try to cram as many people as possible into a ballroom, elbow-to-elbow, to the point that you feel more frustration and irritation than enjoyment. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

And if this sounds like stitching heaven to you, they are offering an encore session for this project in late October. I understand it will then be retired, the sampler is an exclusive to this event.

And, by the way, I did have another class before this, along with the Flower Cart:

Just look at that beautiful carrier! It's a little sister for Tsubaki, a project I did several years ago. They use similar motifs and the same color family to make a beautiful set of accessories. And, not to enable or anything, Jackie and Kim have decided that Tsubaki will be offered next March for the final time, then it will be retired.

So what am I working on today?

Laundry.

Never-ending laundry.

And making a grocery list so we'll have something to eat tonight.

Actually, I am doing my best to continue with my focus projects: Carmen, Harmony, assembly of previously stitched projects, my online whitework class, and House on the Hill. Apparently I can't be monogamous, but I can try to focus.

But the new stuff is sooooooooo tempting.

2 comments:

  1. So happy you had a great time .
    Enjoy your goodies. Hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like an amazing opportunity that you had, Ann. The projects are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete