In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, September 29, 2022

Unexpected

 I was feeling a little overwhelmed the other day. We were having technical difficulties with the new printer (it didn't want to talk to the new laptop),  I had the new Covid booster (the boosters make me sleepy so I'm pretty useless for a day or two), and I just looked at the finishing basket and decided I just could not sew anything at that moment.

So, what do you do when you're overwhelmed? Start a new project, of course.

Maybe not three projects . . . 

So on Tuesday, I pulled out the directions and materials for the last of the projects in Tricia Nguyen's Goldwork course, which I started years and years ago. The only thing left to stitch was her Tudor Band Sampler. So I ferreted out scroll bars that would fit, ironed the linen, sewed it to the bars, and got this much done:


Not much, but it's a start.

Did I stay with it? Nope. While looking for scroll bars, I ran across Catherine Theron's Whitework Delight sampler, a class I took in Williamsburg a number of years ago. And immediately asked myself why in the world I didn't do more on it.

So I did.


Everything looks a little wonky because I had to take the side bars off the scroll frame so I could start the Spiral Trellis stitches at the top of the sampler. Generally, I prefer to work in a frame. My stitches look better and I feel like I have more control over them--but I absolutely have to work Spiral Trellis in hand so my thumb is available to hold the thread down while I pull the needle through.  

I have twelve more motifs with Spiral Trellis to do on this section. Am I going to do them?

Nope.

Because this arrived in yesterday's mail:


Barbara Jackson designed the sweetest little basket lid for the petite basket, and, as soon as I locate stretcher bars, this is going to be today's project.

I will go back to finishing, but I've decided I need a break between each project I assemble. And at the moment, I feel almost compelled to jump from one thing to another, so who knows what I'll do next?

Stay tuned. You'll know as soon as I do.


5 comments:

  1. I really really enjoy your posts and the gorgeous things you work on. You started your sampler with my favourite stitch.
    Maria S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just took the Whitework Delight class in September. I've already decided to save the spiral trellises for the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound just like me….hop, skip and a jump from project to project. Every year I plan to stick with a project until finished and not stay to the next new thing that comes along and well, I don’t need to say more….just look at the UFO basket. Hope you stay safe in Ian heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh! I don't feel so guilty about having three projects going now -- I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete