In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Friday, December 22, 2017

Stay-cation Day 0.5

Well, the switchboard at work was turned off at one, so we were free to leave early today.

And I did a few minutes later when Baby Girl arrived in town for a long-awaited lunch at our favorite Japanese restaurant.  She had Lunch A which had ramen in one bowl with shrimp on top and another bowl full of something else that looked delightful. I had Lunch B which was an assortment of nigiri and sushi and salads.

Originally we had made plans to go home and immediately start on the cookie extravaganza. We changed the plans over lunch, deciding that we both needed time to decompress.  She is knitting herself a sweater.  And Mary Otter has window frames:


We finally were hungry enough to have leftover lasagna for dinner and then got down to work. Well, we sort of halfway got down to work. I had made the cookie dough the night before so it could chill. We decided that we could do half of each recipe to take to Mother's tomorrow, then do the rest some other time over the week-end.

At one point in my past as a Domestic Diva, I would make ten or twelve different varieties of cookies every year. At the time, we had children in and out who would take care of eating them. Now that we don't have an easy cookie-disposal system--and Dearly Beloved and I don't need to eat hundreds of cookies--we have settled on the two recipes that everyone loves and make those.

Although I'm very tempted to stop by the grocery store tomorrow to pick up flaked coconut and apricot preserves because there is a new recipe I'd kind of like to try ...

No, I do not need to do that. No, I do not. I really don't.

I'll sleep on it.

3 comments:

  1. Your house construction is moving along. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to baking ten to twelve kinds of cookies! Got into doing that myself when kids were small and I was at home all day - made cookie plates for neighbors and teachers and such. And then I went back to work and made cookie plates for bosses and co-workers ... and making all those different kinds of cookies would nearly put me over the edge each December. Have been trying to cut back (as Wonderful Husband and I certainly do not need to eat dozens and dozens of cookies), but cutting back is difficult when there are so many but-you-just-HAVE-to-makes! This year there were nine kinds, but daughter has been here since Sunday evening and we made about half of them together.

    Mary will certainly be glad to have windows! Your house construction is coming along quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is tough to not over do/over indulge where Christmas cookies are concerned. I'm very impressed if you stick to only two...I've been fighting hard to stick to two cookies and two candies!!! It's a win-win no matter what gets made in the end!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete