In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

So Cool!

This is the front of the next-to-last band of Mary Atwood:


And this is the way it looks on the back with a different reversible cross stitch:


Is that not ridiculously cool?

I know, I know. I have reached the pinnacle of Needlework Nerd-vana to be so excited about this, but I just think this is loads of fun.  Oh, wow, really a needlework nerd!

I will admit that I had problems with this stitch on an earlier alphabet band. Apparently either the stars or my brain cells aligned, but this time it worked out.

And I did something else that I don't usually do. In all of the classes I've taken that involved 17th century sampler techniques, I've been told that you should end your threads on the front of the work. And I don't, mainly because I always feel like there's a little fuzzy end of thread sticking up on the front, sort of like a cowlick. On this band, I did end the threads on the front because I didn't want to mess up the little open boxes on the back.

There is only one more band to do, and I'll have another finish for the year.  I've been trying to decide what I want to do next. I think I'm going to see if I can get another sampler off a set of scroll bars




9 comments:

  1. The mind boggles just thinking about your collection of scroll and stretcher bars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind boggles, too--which is why I'm trying to get some things off of them!

      Delete
  2. Oh! Oh my!! I am quite literally agape, totally in awe of your glorious cross stitches reversed to four-sided stitch. Gazing on the perfection of all those little boxes, I wondered what you'd done with your ends. Um, yes, reading words ... that helps a lot. ;) Now I wish I'd ended threads on the front on those trellis bits on Jane Turner ... maybe now I won't be so scared to do so on the next band - thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning stitching!! I love reversible cross stitch - it doesn't love me back. Yous is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. You're an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you--I just bumble along and sometimes things work out.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann - fun seeing your progress on Mary Atwood ... It is in my stash and I too am trying hard to stay focused and work on the WIP ... The thing about empty scroll rods is that they have a way of getting filled up again! The Millenium frame makes this even easier and more tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I've never done reversible x-stitch, nor ended my thread from the front of the fabric, so your post was quite intriguing to me today! :)

    ReplyDelete