In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Temptation

I have been tempted to run away from home.

This is one reason:


This tiny bit is all I've had time to stitch this week. It's been a week full of obligations, commitments, and responsibilities. This has been difficult after my lovely long vacation. I was hurled into end-of-quarter and end-of-year reports at work, and Dearly Beloved is broken at home (he's thrown his back out and is having some major problems with one of his knees to the point he actually was willing to see the doctor).

And then it got cold. Not quite Minneapolis or Chicago cold, but I don't function well with single digit temperatures. I prefer to languidly sip cold drinks and fan myself over downing gallons of hot tea and shivering.

And then there have been other temptations.

Amy Mitten is bringing back her online class  on threadwinders and a bag in which to keep them. I took the class a couple of years ago. I have the kit. I have started the kit. I'm pretty sure I know exactly where to lay my hands on the kit. I have already stacked up a pile of kits that I have started that I want to work on, and I have a couple of things on their way to me to start that I've been thinking about since Christmas. I'm not sure I want to add something else to that teetering pile. Oh, who am I kidding . . .I'm likely going to slog upstairs when I hit publish and pull this project out, too.

And then SNS is doing me in again. In just the last day or so, Kate has announced two canvas classes, Judy Souliotis' Day Into Night and Carol and Michael's Shady Colors.

Now, I have to admit, Day Into Night would not fit into any part of my house. We tend to go for very traditional decor and this isn't. But I have this very large computer screen in my cubicle at work which allows one to see things in great detail--and there are some lovely, lovely designs and complex stitch patterns in Day Into Night--the kind of thing I really like to stitch. So I'm tempted.

On top of that, even though I just finished Mariposa at Christmas, Carole and Michael are offering another project. And again, there are the kinds of complicated stitches that I enjoy.  And there is a very elegant white/cream tone on tone colorway that speaks to me. Loudly. And I do mean loudly.

I am trying to be reasonable, I really am. After all, Dearly Beloved and I are edging into retirement sooner rather than later, and I could certainly save those funds. And I've allocated this month's budget for needlework already, and am committed to some upcoming workshops and events.

But I am tempted.  Painfully tempted.

I need to stay off the computer.

2 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean, so many things to tempt you out there! I am trying to do Stitch From Stash again this year and with the SALs I have already committed to and the enormous stash I have upstairs, you would think that would be enough. But that darned computer always seems to come up with more lovely things I just have to have!!! LOL Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. The freezing cold temps have made me want to cuddle under a warm blanket rather than stitch. Yes, I need to reduce my stash and put myself on a budget--there are always beautiful new designs which are calling my name

    ReplyDelete