In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Hari-Kuyo


Today is the day to honor broken and used needles. Mine are not broken--I don't usually break them although I can bend a beading needle into the most unusual shape--but, due to my somewhat (ahem) acidic nature, I tend to wear the finish off instead. These are the needles you see above, their use fulfilled.

I understand that in the traditional Japanese ritual, the needles are ceremonially buried. I have been thinking about this, off and on all day.

And it occurred to me, probably because I hit that milestone birthday last year, that the greatest honor is to continue to feel wanted and needed, that even if you're not the shiniest needle in the book, you are still important. Therefore, my needles are staying with their friends in my needlebook.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! My family was just coming back to dinner and I read them your post. We all agreed that this was a beautiful way to manage the end of your needles' lives and we would all like to live in your needlebook, should we ever be needles.

    A beautiful post and sentiment. I hope your next year of needling is filled with blessings and many hours of contented stitching. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very endearing post, love it greatly.
    I will start this tradition too.
    Have already a sort of hug-and thank you-proceedure with my retiring scissors.

    Hugs from
    Anette & Skruttan

    ReplyDelete