In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Random thoughts

Not much stitching to see here--still working on the Obligation Stitching which cannot be shown.  I took some time off from it this week since Baby Girl spent part of her vacation with us--and I wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.  She is such good company, especially since we have a lot of shared interests.  Even better, we really like each other.  And it gave me the break I needed to get enthusiastic about working on this particular project again.

So, this is a sort of random post.  More so than usual.

First random thought.

While I can't show any needlework and haven't done as much as I should, I have been dreaming about textiles.  Literally.  This night before I cut threads on the Obligation Stitching, I dreamed about doing it all night, almost to the point that I was surprised to see that it hadn't been done when I came downstairs the next morning.

Then a couple of nights later, I dreamed about making a quilt. In the dream, I had to totally remake a quilt I had just finished because somehow it had been cut or sliced or something and had to be remade.  And I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough fabric.  It was almost nightmarish.

I don't quilt.

I like quilts.

I love fabrics.

BUT

it's too much like practical sewing which we know is not one of my strengths AND I do not need another passion even if I did eventually overcome the practical sewing problems.  Have no idea where that dream came from.

Then, last night, I dreamed I was on some sort of Arctic expedition and I needed to knit socks for a large group of people.  With a bulky, mohair-like yarn.  And it kept shredding as I tried to cast on the stitches. No idea where that one came from either.

Second random thought:

Today, I'm trying to deal with Daylight Savings Time.  I do not like it. I don't like losing an hour from my week-end.  I don't like the fact that it will be pitch dark again in the mornings when I have to get up.  I don't like the Jet Lag feeling I will have for the next week or so while my body gets used to the change.

I also think it's very interesting that research has told us that the incidence of heart attacks rises about 10% in the week after DST is implemented and that there are no significant energy savings.

Yes, I know it stays lighter later.  Try putting a preschooler to bed at a reasonable hour when it's still light out and tell me how well that goes over. And, in this part of the country, it doesn't start to cool off in  the summer until way after dark, making outside activities quite unpleasant in the late afternoon.  When we have very mild winters, as we have had this year, we tend to have very hot summers afterwards.  So, to get in my walk for heart health, I have to get up that much earlier in the summer to have time to walk and shower before work. I do not like getting up early. Any time. And it will still be dark.

Third random thought:

To the political candidate whose auto-call awakened me at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning, you have lost my vote.  I wasn't particularly impressed with you anyway but I was willing to look at your credentials. However, being startled awake by the ring of the phone, followed by hearing an incredibly venomous message, ended that.

And that's it for random thoughts for today.  I am threading up a needle and stitching the rest of the day.  The sooner I get through with this project, the sooner I can get back to working on things I can show.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ann.
    Couldn't agree with you more about those political robocalls!
    I make it a point to find out who they are supporting, and then NOT vote for that person!

    ReplyDelete