In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Saturday, April 4, 2020

End of Week Two

We have survived Week Two.

I'm finding it hard to have balance between work and home when I'm home all the time, but I'm working at it. As a result, I haven't stitched as much as I hoped.

And I had to put the Pandemic Project aside when I hit the wall on letters over one.  I decided that I wouldn't feel guilty about that since I am the boss of me and can choose what I want to stitch. So there.

I did get the two motifs that will go on the button bag for Ode stitched, and I have to say, they were intense.


This one little motif has rice stitches, Smyrna crosses, mosaic stitch, and satin stitch. That's a lot for such a wee tiny butterfly. But it was fun to stitch.


This one had a cast-on stitch for the flower buds, and satin, and lazy daisies, and hedebo buttonholes around the leaves. And that meant I had to search the innerwebs for instructions on hedebo buttonholes because I don't do them often enough and forget how to do them. Every time. You'd think if I can remember how to do several different kinds of detached buttonholes, I could remember to do this, but not so much.

However, this is done. And that leaves one part of the project to do, the sampler that sits on the bottom of the desk. I saved it for last because it looked like the most fun to do. I will shortly embark on a mission to find either the desired size scroll frame or stretcher bars.

Meanwhile, we have had one of our typical Domestic Disasters. The second washing machine in less than seven years died of a failed transmission. We weighed the relative dangers of having a service technician come to diagnose the problem or using a laundromat and decided to go with the technician. Then when the technician announced it would be cheaper to buy a new machine than parts and labor to repair the old one, we had to weigh the relative dangers of buying a new washing machine or using a laundromat for who-knows-how-long. So we checked online, made a flying trip to Home Depot to see it in person, bought it, and came home, where we immediately showered.  So we're doing another two weeks before we breathe a sigh of relief again.

I do have to say that the Home Depot we visited was doing everything right. They had six foot lengths marked out where you waited for entry and were only allowing a certain number of people inside at a time. The employees were masked and gloved and were wiping things down while we were there. So I'm not quite as nervous as I could be.

But I'm still plenty nervous, so we're hunkered down for the duration.

Stay well.

2 comments:

  1. Ann, I was wondering if I could please ask your advice? I have returned to my Martha Edlin and was wondering if you have any tips on how to secure the Soie de Paris ends, particularly in the double running. I am noticing that over time, the ends seem to want to unravel and go fluffy and I just wondered how you dealt with this? Thank you so, so much. Joanne, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the flower and the butterfly are stunning. Good for you on putting the over one letters in the pandemic project away. Enjoy your weekend! Be well!

    ReplyDelete