In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Never again

I am never again going to announce I plan to blog for an entire month. The minute I do, events transpire to keep me from it.

I did go to sampler guild on Wednesday, had a lovely time, signed up for a workshop and lecture from Cissy Smith for October, and journeyed home.

The next morning, I got up, got dressed, and went to work. I'd been there for a couple of hours when I was called by Mother's retirement center. She'd had another fall trying to maneuver herself from her bed to her wheelchair on her own, which is not supposed to happen unassisted, and they were taking her to the ER for evaluation since she apparently clonked her head.

So I literally dropped everything, threw myself in the car, and drove through tornado warnings and torrential rain.

They were bringing her back shortly after I arrived, so I stayed to make sure she was settled. And I got caught by the storm. There were three tornado warnings and continued heavy rains and by the time she was semi-comfortable and calm again, it was getting dark. Due to downed trees and flash flooding, people were being told to stay off the roads, and I had no desire to take a chance driving home.

So I stayed overnight, dozing in Mother's lift chair (which flattens out to a pretty comfortable bed).  It would have been fine had I not been sharing quarters with two little old ladies who couldn't snore in sync.

Mother was stiff and sore Friday morning, and not happy, and taking it out on everyone, so I stayed until early afternoon before driving home.

At that point, after having worn the same clothes since 6 a.m. the day before, all I wanted was a shower, clean clothes, and a nap.

I woke up Saturday with a migraine--likely due to stress and lack of sleep--so yesterday was a bust. I'm still a little sensitive to light and my hair is still sore today--lingering effects of migraine--so I've been taking it easy.

And watching it snow. We went from tornadoes and temps in the 60's on Thursday, to temps in the 30's and a brief snowfall on Saturday.

But this is a stitching blog and there has been a minimal amount of stitching.

I've been stitching on a crewel project during my lunchtimes at work. It was in my work tote when I headed out on Thursday, so while sitting with Mother, I got some more stitching done.


I'm much closer to finished on this than I thought.

And I've done a few stitches on Ode:


And a close-up so you can see what is actually happening.


Hopefully this week will go back to the usual rut with no unexpected events. I could use a few days in a rut after the last four.


2 comments:

  1. Ode and the crewel pieces are looking good! I am sorry that your Mother fell, but glad there weren't any major injuries. I wish you a very peaceful rut for the coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you I know how it is my Dad was always falling in is nursing home , and it always happens at the wrong time .
    Hope you had time to rest now and and your mother is ok .
    Stitching is looking great.

    ReplyDelete