In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Slightly Sidetracked

I know, I know, I should be working on prework for my class with Jackie and the Western Reserve Sampler Guild in Ohio in July.

I know.

I got slightly off target.


I may have mentioned a time or forty that I don't really like to stitch letters.  I don't know why.  And knowing that the verse on Sarah Williams was the next section to complete has preyed on my mind. So I decided to get it over with and done.

There is another mystery on this sampler.  Please note the wave motifs at the end of each line of the verse:


One of these things is not like the others. One of these things is not quite the same.

Was Sarah supposed to do them all like the first row? Did she make an error in the second row and decide she liked that better? Or was she supposed to do a different wave pattern on each row and decided that was too much thinking? Or is the second version of the wave supposed to be the way the first line should look and she didn't want to rip it all out?

Dearly Beloved wants to know why it makes a difference. What he doesn't get is that it's entertaining to try to figure out what the original stitcher was planning . . . or not planning, as the case may be.

Lest you think I'm not being disciplined and diligent, I did make myself sew the linen for the biggest piece of prework to the scroll bars last night, and I have started the first few inches of the miles of Nun stitch that will eventually be worked.

And here it is.


Did I say a few inches?  Maybe an inch and a little bit.

I think I'm going to need to marathon a really good TV show to get through this.

1 comment:

  1. Loving this sampler. Haven't a clue why there is a difference. When that happens to me, it is always my fault...I am bad at counting and keeping up with the t.v.
    Continued happy stitching...

    ReplyDelete