In my part of the world we say you are a fool if your passion for a pursuit overcomes all practical sense. I am a stitching fool, and I stitch foolishness.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

A stitching Thanksgiving

I was thinking about today's blog and listing all the things I'm thankful for--like a warm home, food to eat, a job that supports my habit, modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing--and most of all, Dearly Beloved, the Big Kid and his wife, Baby Girl, and the Flash--but then, I thought, we're all grateful for family and quality of life. And this is a stitching blog.


So here are the things in my little needlework world that I'm thankful for today:


  • Progress, again, on Morning Has Broken. These are the two center cartouches in the vine and leaf border, plus a little of the sawtooth border which goes around the whole thing. If I plop myself in the wing chair for the next few days and really work at this, I can get the whole border done and then can spend my time filling in the fun parts.
  • Enough stash to last several lifetimes, so boredom will not be an issue any time soon
  • Inspirations to try techniques new to me, found online and in magazines and books. This is truly an amazing time to be an embroiderer.
  • In-person guilds and online communities of embroiderers, all of whom have something to offer
  • Brilliant teachers and designers who constantly challenge and encourage with exquisite projects and techniques
  • Online classes that make it ever so easy to learn
  • Blogging, which has reconnected me to an old friend and brought me a new one who is just as addicted to all this as I am!
  • And my mail carrier, who delivers goodies that make my stitcher's heart go pitty-pat and my stitcher's fingers itch to pick up my needle.


Yesterday, my mail carrier brought me two wonderful new projects:


Peace on Earth, this year's ornament from Barbara Jackson. 

I stitched her "Merrily, Merrily" last year in time to get it on the tree. That's the goal for this year as well. Class starts tomorrow!


The materials for Jacobean Splendour, a cyber workshop from Alison Cole.

I've wiped more drool off the keyboard after viewing Alison Cole's website than I care to admit and I'm really excited to start this class as well. Periodically, I take my life in my hands and pick up a sharp needle, and this is one of those times. I will keep you apprised of my progress. I should perhaps buy stock in band-aids.

The needlepoint ornament series has not been forgotten. As we have already had our family feast, it's just Dearly Beloved and moi for Thanksgiving today, so I thought about setting up my assembly line on the kitchen table and starting.

The finishing directions call for use of a hot glue gun.

A klutz should never be allowed near a hot glue gun.

I rummaged around to find my Allene's thick tacky designer glue--the one in the pink bottle--since it holds as well as hot glue and doesn't run the risk of blistering my fingers or other parts--only to find that  I have a virtually empty bottle.

If you think I'm going to risk life and sanity diving into the post-Thanksgiving shopping frenzy for a bottle of glue, you need to rethink. Instead, I'm planning to stitch until it's time to sling the turkey breast into the oven. And then I plan to stitch after dinner. And then I plan to stitch tomorrow. And the next day. And the next . . .there's a LOT to be thankful for!

4 comments:

  1. Ditto from me on our listing of stitch things to be thankful for. Even Morning Has Broken because I added it to my stash this year :)
    Happy Thanksgiving, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Thanksgiving activities have all the makings of a Nirvana.... Family,
    Food and unbridled stitching....Anyone attempting those projects does
    not deserve the klutz award.....but avoidance of post Thanksgiving frenzy
    does connote a cowardly lioness syndrome....Thanks for today's chuckle.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. How, pray tell, does one obtain Barbara Jackson's Peace on Earth? Not
    available on the Shining Needle class site and cannot find anywhere in cyberspace.....It looks like a delightful project; one I would like to add to
    my ornament collection. Many thanks for the assist...
    heritagehalltn@gmail.com
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to be thankful for. I love your new projects!

    ReplyDelete